Opening April 3, 2009

Chirp, chirp. Can you hear the echo in here? No really big movies opening this weekend. However there are two releases that I will talk about-Fast and Furious and Adventureland. Read up on 'em, and stay tuned for my pick of the week!




"Just like old times." Is it? We've got the people from the original 2001 Fast and Furious: Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster. But we've got a new director (Justin Lin). Have no fear, he directed Tokyo Drift back in 2006-he'll do this film justice. Still, it screams what all the other Fast and Furious movies have before. Just girls and fast cars. Call me crazy, but I need a little bit more than that. How about a plot? 'After being released from jail, Brian O'Conner (Walker) teams up with Dominic Toretto (Diesel) to bring down a heroine importer'. Better, but it reminds me of a Transporter movie. Furious looks to be great fun, but I'm not going to let myself be fooled by explosions and fast cars like I was with Transporter 3.


Adventureland looks a lot like Role Models was. A silent hit. I'm not fan of Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart or Ryan Reynolds. I am a fan, however, of Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, who play husband and wife in this carnival-themed comedy. Adventureland was written and directed by Greg Mottola, who was probably the least credited director of Superbad. He had Hader and Martin Starr in Superbad as well. It looks pretty funny; not going to be nominated for "Best Comedy" like Role Models was, though. I'm a fan, just rooting from the sidelines. Won't be #1 this weekend, and it won't the credit that it so rightly deserves. Probably.

Not a lot to say about these movies, so I'll get right to the point. My pick of the week remains Monsters vs. Aliens, but out of these two...Adventureland. Next week will be better, though, with huge movies like Hannah Montana: The Movie, Observe and Report and Dragonball: Evolution opening, there will be more to talk about.

The estimated box office results as voted by you on BoxOfficeMojo.com-



0 comments: